Govt. to Overhaul the Sector_
Kano State government has reiterated it’s commitmeent to give priority attention to education and promised to overhaul tertiary education system to the best global practice in the state.
This was made known by the State Commissioner for Higher Education, Dr. Yusuf Ibrahim Kofarmata during a familiarization visit to Sa’adatu Rimi University of Education, Kano.
Dr. Kofarmata added that not providing education alone, but provision of qualitative and sustainable development of state-owned Institutions to restore and upgrade the quality of the graduands so that they can flourish their performance that can keep speaking all over the nation and beyond.
” I quite believe that this is achievable, of course, we can’t achieve this giant task without deliberate effort of all levels in developing the values, skills, attitude, knowledge and understanding of our dear students”, he emphasized.
The Commissioner called on all stakeholders to put their hands together to achieve the target objectives.
Turning to the familiarization visit, he said it will serve as an avenue to interface and interact with management and all stakeholders to share ideas with a view to move the institutions forward.
Dr. Yusuf further said the visit would help the Ministry to be acquinted with system and compare note on the followings:
1. How to improve the teaching and learning environment for the staff and students, school cleanness and sanitation, beautification, landscape, electricity, road network among others.
2. How to improve teaching efficiency, through professional training and registration of Academic staff and technologies.
3. How to improve the functionality of laboratories, workshops, machines, smart and magic, speaking systems for larger classes, drawing boards books and e-library, other teaching aids and required training.
4. How to strengthen examination regulation and irregularities committee (ERIC) to minimize the act of malpractice in order to improve the quality of graduands.
5. Considering the tuition fee issues in Federal Institutions how do they end infrastructural inadequacies and expand the enrolment capacity.
7. How to improve student welfare and human right protection to safeguard the dignity of all and ensure zero tolerance to harassment and gender-based violence, and
8. How to increase staff welfare and open platforms for suggestions and complaints on lingering issues directly to the Ministry for immediate feedback.
The Commissioner who was accompanied with Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Dahiru Adda’u, Directors and his aids, thanked the State governor Abba Kabir Yusuf for restoration of policy on sponsorship of best graduates to pursue higher degrees at local and foreign universities
Earlier in his remark the Vice Chancellor of Sa’adatu Rimi University of Education, Prof. Yahaya Isa Bunkure said the presence of Commissioner at the school was a testimony to his commitmeent to education and transformation of teacher-education by governor Abba Kabir Yusuf.
During the interactive session, the Chairman of Joint Consultative Forum of Tertiary Institutions, Cmr. Inuwa Ishaq Inuwa and his counterpart of Senior Staff Union, Tijjani Ado Dauda shared their opinion on the way forward to improve the sector.
During the visit, the Commissioner was warmly received by students, politicians especially Kwankwasiyya Scholars Association.